“CONFESSIONS OF A SANDBAGGER” BY J.J. GOWLAND
Can be purchased on: www.smashwords.com
Michael “Micky” Blaine is a Sandbagger, self professed and acknowledged by all his “friends” and his ex-wife, ex-girlfriend etc. He is indeed the quintessential sandbagger. He is a gregarious, sympathetic character (perhaps only to another sandbagger) but has the system down pat. He has sandbagged his way through paying his mortgage, rent and support payments after being crushed in a Canadian recession.
The plot is novel, tying and strapping him to his pull cart and golf bag and filling his golf bag and pants with old golf balls to sink him so just his head is above water in the par three 17th hole pond and his unsuccessful pleading for help. (Come on you’ve wanted to do this once or twice in your golfing career)
In the end he enrolls in a 12 step program Sandbagger Anonymous.
We of Sandbaggeranonymous.com agree there is a need for peer pressure and Micky Blaine demonstrates this need.
J.J. Gowland’s writing reminds me of “Missing Links” by Rick Reilley. Easy and enjoyable reading on your next plane ride.
Those of you who are wondering what Michael’s 12 step plan was:
- No more psycho psych out games
- No more handicapping the players for the para-mutual betting
- No more tournament play
- No more alibis from the pro shop
- No more debts to pay, or collect
- No more grounding my club in a bunker or hazard
- No more coaching with incorrect advice
- No more than 14 clubs in my bag
- No more kicking the ball from behind a tree
- No more pressing bets on the 18th hole, in fact, no more betting on the golf course at all
- No more entering the wrong score in the computer handicap data bank
- I had to deliver the final act of redemption. The one thing they all needed ….. Okay. Okay. I’ll be on the handicap committee!